Thursday, December 23, 2010

What Do You Desire?


Proverbs 2:1-5

1 My son, if you accept my words
and store up my commands within you,


2 turning your ear to wisdom
and applying your heart to understanding—


3 indeed, if you call out for insight
and cry aloud for understanding,


4 and if you look for it as for silver
and search for it as for hidden treasure,


5 then you will understand the fear of the Lord
and find the knowledge of God.


We should have a desire in our hearts for the Word of God.  A burning desire to read it and have it become part of us.  Have you ever had a desire for something so powerful that it was the only thing on your mind every waking hour of the day?  A nice car, a home, how about your first love of a girl or boy?  Think back to how that felt.  You could not stand to be separated from them you had to be near them 24/7 and when you were apart you were counting the seconds that you would see them again.  This is the desire that the author is talking about in Proverbs 2.

What if we do not have this desire?  Then we need to search our hearts as to why.  Is it because of excuses?  I just do not have the time to do this, I have a ton of other things I need to get done first, I will do it later when I have time, I am too tired and I will do it tomorrow.  The problem with all of these excuses is that they all begin with “I”.  This is not about us it is about God.  I mentioned earlier about a desire as you had for your first love.  What would you have done to be with them?  Anything right.  Let’s reverse this situation then.  Have you ever had someone that desired you that much?  No not me that would never happen.  Really?  Why on earth or in Heaven then would God allow His Son to go through everything he did here on this earth and die for OUR sins?  Perhaps He desires to be together with us even more so then we ever desired to be with our first love.

So the question then becomes how to receive that kind of love and desire?  Do you accept that love with open arms?  The sad truth of it is we always put ourselves first in this relationship.  I can’t, I don’t have time, I will do that later.  Sound familiar.  So maybe we start putting others first beginning with God.

No comments:

Post a Comment